On Saturday, October 13th, an electronic power supply/relay caught fire in the labs of Brad Allain’s Wildwood Mushrooms. The fire was quickly extinguished by a sprinkler system and supported by the quick response of the Sutton Fire Department and assistance from both Millbury’s and Douglas’ units. While the actual fire (which was deemed accidental from the MA State Fire Marshal’s office) did not cause significant damage, the resulting water devastated the entire inventory of mushrooms, which the board of health required to be disposed of. The damage to the lab and mill space was bad enough that Brad will need to tear out his entire operations and look for a new home. Mass Foodies, who was coincidentally on site during the fire, remains optimistic that Brad will be able to quickly set-up a new space. When speaking with Brad, he noted, “we built this operation literally from scratch. The success that we’ve experienced since starting has been overwhelming because of the quality and quantity we were able to create. While it is a major setback, it won’t stop us from improving upon what we had so that we can quickly be back to serving the most notable restaurants, markets, and stores in the region.” As Brad and his team remain resilient and optimistic about relocating, it’s critical to find a new space sooner than later—preferably a 1,500-2,500 sq ft. warehouse space with concrete floors. Any references or leads are welcome.
About Staff Writer
Mass Foodies is a Worcester-based organization that takes wholistic approach on the Commonwealth’s growing hospitality industry by delivering careful curated content. Massachusetts has world-renowned Chefs and great restaurants and Mass Foodies is dedicated to supporting and promoting them.
Originally published: October 17, 2018